Changes to Your A&D Manuals
Following is a cumulative list of changes to the A&D manuals since
they were published. The list therefore includes changes to the
manuals which were announced with the shipment of A&D Versions 1.00
through 1.61. (We recommend that you print this README.NOW file so
that you can cut the following text with scissors and tape it into the
manuals on the pages listed.)
Volume 1: Adventures in Genealogy
- Page 20: Add the following sentence at the bottom of the page:
"Household records are also used to keep track of cemeteries
and major respositories such as government archives."
- Page 31: Change the text after the fourth bullet to read:
"Each Source record can link to one Household record."
Then cross out the parenthetical phrase that begins with:
"(The reason that Sources should be added prior to ..."
In the illustration, add a line from "Sources" to "Houseolds".
Add an arrowhead at the "Households" end, and the number "1" at the
middle of the line.
- Page 68: Change the text for keys F7 and F8
to read as follows:
F7 Residences To view the residences linked to the current individual or relationship.
F8 Pedigree To view an on-screen ancestors chart for the current individual.
- Page 68: Key F12 cannot yet be used to block text.
You may want to note this here.
- Page 69: Change the last paragraph to read as follows:
"Simply press and release the Ctrl key. If the cursor is
resting on a field that contains a record number, you will be instantly
taken to that record; in this case the key works as a hyperlink.
At any other place, a small help window will pop up to show you
the available control options. Since it shows your options, you
don't have to memorize them."
- Page 71: The } (right brace) ditto copying key works fine on
Alias records; however, the } ditto copying does not yet work on
the other record types. You may want to note this here.
The " (double-quote) ditto copying does work exactly as described.
- Page 72: Replace the single paragraph with the following seven
"The Home key will help you navigate through the records in a
family history. It works in two alternative ways:
- When in a text Note after having pressed F11, touch the
Home key to move to position 1 of line 1 of that Note.
That is, pressing Home returns the cursor to the Home position
of the Note. This is very useful when you are in a very long Note.
- Otherwise, the Home key functions as a hyperlink to take you
back to your last anchor record. (Setting an "Anchor" is
explained below.) Pressing the Home key instantly returns
you back to your most-recent anchor or starting record.
Thus, the Home key is commonly used to step back from a hyperlink
jump initiated by a Ctrl key. For example, when at a Relationship
record, you can use the Ctrl key to hyperlink jump to the husband's
Individual record to look at details about him and then press
the Home key to quickly return back to the Relationship record.
A&D automatically sets and remembers an anchor record for
later use when you press the Home key. An anchor is first
set when you go to an Individual, Relationship, Household, or
Source record from sub-menu Screen 20, 30, 40, or 50. The
first record you select is the initial anchor for a session.
The anchor is reset to the current record whenever you press a
Ctrl key or enter the father, mother, spouse,
husband, or wife word command.
For example, to set John Smith (Individual 123) as an anchor, go
to Individual record 123 and enter one of the five word commands
or press Ctrl at Field 28, 29, 33, or 38 through 49. Then, even
if you then visit or change hundreds of other records, the anchor
lets you instantly return to Individual 123 at any time by just
touching the Home key."
- Page 104: Correct the paragraph after the "Offset Years End
Dates" table to read as follows:
"Ironically, when these countries switched from the Julian
Calendar to the Gregorian Calendar, they also returned back
to the Julian standard of beginning the year on the 1st of
January and ending it on the 31st of December."
- Page 104: Correct the second paragraph from the bottom of the
page (the one that begins "Much more") by deleting "Scotland,".
- Page 111: Change "1994" to "1999" in the fourth line. Also,
change "1993" to "1998" in the first line of the third bullet.
- Pages 133 through 136: Over 30 new reports and forms
have been added to A&D since Volume 1 was originally
printed. With this shipment of A&D to you, we have
included updated reprints of these four pages. Attach each
of these reprints on top of the original four pages. You
can use glue or adhesive tape.
Note: More detailed listings are available online.
Go to A&D Screen 97 to view a index to A&D's
printed forms, and go to Screen 98 to see an index and guide to 96 of the
standard reports available from A&D.
Volume 2: Getting Started
- Page 1: In the seventh line from the bottom of the page,
change "360-kilobyte" to "1.2-megabyte".
- Page 3: In the third line from the bottom of the page, change
Windows versions "3.0, 3.1, 3.11, or 95" to "3.x, 95, 98, or NT".
- Page 20: Under the "Windows" heading, change the sentence
"If you are using Windows 95, do the following:" to read
"If you are using Windows 95, 98, or NT, do the following:".
- Page 21: Add the following "Note" at the bottom of the page:
Note: When you leave Screen I1, some newer Windows computers
may display a message that says "Please insert diskette for Drive B:"
followed by another message that says "Please insert diskette for Drive
A:" Disregard these messages and press any key to bypass them.
- Page 28: Included with this shipment of A&D is a reprint of
page 28. Attach this reprinted page on top of the original page.
Use glue or adhesive tape. The new text provides improved instructions for
installing A&D when you have Windows 95, Windows 98, or
Windows NT. In the three places where "Windows 95" appears, change it to
read "Windows 95 or 98".
- Page 38: Near the bottom of the page, change "1 January 1995"
to "1 January 1999".
- Page 47: In the illustration of Screen 4, add the following
new line after "Surnames in caps" Field 8:
"Surnames last (Y,N) - 9}No"
- Page 48: At Field 2 "Keep error sounds on:", add the following
new paragraph or footnote:
"Hyperlink sounds are also governed by this field. When set to
Y, a mild zoom sound will occur each time you do a hyperlink."
- Page 49: At Field 7 "National currency symb:", add the following
new text after "North American edition of A&D.":
"You may set any of 18 different currency symbols. Enter the
letter A for Australia, K for the Scandanavian countries,
N for New Zealand, or O for the £ symbol. Enter X to
see an error message that gives the 18 possible entries."
- Page 50: Add the following instructions for new Field 9:
"- 9} Surnames last (Y,N):
Enter Y to reverse the sequence of an individual's
name in printed reports and on most screen displays.
(This will not effect how names are entered or filed in
Individual or Alias records; it only effects subsequent
printouts or displays where full names are shown.) N
is the normal default entry."
- Page 55: Note the following changes to Screen 6:
- Field 1 now has six possible entries. Change
"(1-5)" to "(1-6)" both in Screen 6 and in the text
- Entries 4 and 5 (for Serial port 1 and 2), however,
are not functional and should not be used at this time.
- Entry 6 means "Output to file REPORT.A&D". Enter
6 to send all subsequent A&D
reports to a file named "REPORT.A&D" in the root
directory of the drive where your family history
For example, if your current family is on drive C,
all reports for that family will be sent to "C:\REPORT.A&D".
Reports will continue to be appended to this
file until you come back to Screen 6 and change Field
1 back to a parallel printer port (an entry of 1, 2,
The size of file REPORT.A&D is limited only by the
available space on your hard disk or diskette.
When you send your report data to file REPORT.A&D, you
probably will not want the data to include the printer
control characters normally issued by A&D
to control your printer. You can exclude these
characters by pressing ALT at Field 2 of Screen 6
and selecting "Custom" as the current printer (if your
word processor can import IBM-standard line-drawing
characters). Use printer "ASCII generic" or
"Dataset" if your word processor cannot import IBM-standard
After importing REPORT.A&D into your word processor, you
will probably have to (1) widen your left and right margins
and (2) select a Courier font such as Courier 12 cpi or
Courier 17 cpi.
A&D will not delete file REPORT.A&D; when
you are done using that file, delete it by using the file
delete command in your word processor, in DOS, or in
Be sure to reset Fields 1 and 2 at Screen 6 back to their
normal values when you want to resume normal printing.
- Page 57: Although Screen 6 now contains various fields for
setting parameters for serial printers, A&D
currently supports only parallel printers (as indicated in our
brochures). Disregard serial port Fields 3 through 6.
- Pages 62 and 63: Field 3 of Screen 9 was revised.
Previously it was titled "CR/LF on each line"; now it
is titled "Lines added at TOP". TOP means "top of page".
The normal entry in this field is 1. An
entry larger than 1 is required for some laser printers
to properly align Avery-label or rotary-card stock in those
Volume 3: Tutorial
- Page vi, line 3: Change "in 1994 and 1995," to read "beginning in 1994,".
- Page 14: In the illustration of Screen 11, "Siz" column, change "1" to "2".
- Page 35: Change "F7" to "F8" in three places (in the heading,
on line 3, and in the first line after the screen illustration).
- Page 46: Insert the following new text just before the last
sentence on this page:
When a field contains a record number, you can easily jump to
that record to view it in more detail. The record number is
called a hyperlink. To illustrate, move the cursor up to
Field 3. That field contains the number 3 which is the
Individual record for Jacqueline Bouvier. To jump to Jackie's
record, just lightly and briefly press either one of your
computer's two Control (Ctrl) keys. Jackie's record will
Hyperlinking works at a total of 118 of A&D's data fields.
For example, press the Tab key to go to Jackie's Screen 23b.
Here you can hyperlink from Fields 28, 29, 33, and 38 through 49.
Just move the cursor to any of these fields and then press
one of the Control keys."
Volume 4: Reference Manual
- Page 5, Field BUs: This field is now automatically completed as
you move across it. The meaning of the entries as described on
page 5 is still correct. However, if a "#" symbol appears in
this column, it means that the family history is too big to be
backed up on the size of diskettes that you defined in Screen 5
for the Backup drive.
- Pages 18 and 19: Change the name of the tenth Record Type on
the screen from "Annual Reminder" to "Events Calendar".
- Page 33: At Field 36, change "by Report 75 and Screen 76." to
"by Report 76.".
- Page 49: At the top of the page, add a fourth bullet: "-
Press the Ctrl key and then the letter i.
- Page 51: At the bottom of the page, add a fourth bullet: "-
Press the Ctrl key and then the letter i.
- Page 62: By the F10 key illustration, add a fourth bullet: "-
Press the Ctrl key and then the letter i.
- Page 72: At Field 16, change "by Report 75 and Screen 76." to
"by Report 76.".
- Page 77: In the fifth paragraph (that begins with "You may,
however, enter the children"), delete the last sentence (the
one that reads "You can fill in the other names later, and
rearrange their order if needed"), and add the following two
sentences: "Fill in Fields 34 and 36 with Alternate entries
(as described below). This is because you must not leave
blank child fields prior to a child field that has an
Individual Number in it."
- Page 78: By the F10 key illustration, add the sentence: "Or
you can press the Ctrl key and then the letter i.
- Page 92: Add an asterisk (*) at the end of the instructions
for Fields 2 and 3 ("Res.1/Male/Husb" and "Res.2/Fem./Wife",
respectively). Then add the following footnote at the bottom
of page 92:
"*Leave this field blank if you are creating a Household
record for a cemetery or a source repository."
- Page 99: Field 37 "Total # of Residents". Add the following
sentence at the bottom of the page:
"If you are creating a Household record for a cemetery, enter
the total number of your relatives buried at the cemetery."
- Page 101: By the F10 key illustration, add the sentence: "Or
you can press the Ctrl key and then the letter i.
- Page 110: Add the following sentence at the bottom of the page:
"To print a report that lists all of a person's residences,
select Option 8 at Screen 48b."
- Page 115, Field 4 "Source Cost": Add an asterisk (*) after
the word "dollar" in second line, after the word "dollars" in the
fourth line, and after the word "cents" in the fifth line. Then
add a footnote at the bottom of the page that says:
"*The National Currency Symbol is set at Screen 4, Field 7."
- Page 116: Make six changes to this page as follows:
- Cross out and delete Field "-6} Research Flag:" and the two
lines that describe it.
- Just below that, change "Go to Field 10." to "Go to Field 9."
- Change "-7} Updated By:" to "-6} Updated By:".
- Change "-8} Last Updated" to "-7} Last Updated".
- Change "-9} Date Created" to "-8} Date Created".
- Change "-10} Continuation" to "-9} Continuation".
- Page 117: Add the following new text at the middle of the page:
"-10} HH No.: Enter the Household Number of the repository,
residence, or business where this source document can be
found. (This assumes that you already have or will enter
the repository, residence, or business into A&D as
described in Chapter 4.) In other words, enter the Household
Number of the place were a future genealogist should go to
get a copy of this source. If you possess the original
document (such as an old family Bible), enter the Household
of your current residence."
- Page 123: Change three lines in the illustration of the Screen 60
Reports Menu as follows:
- Change option 4 "family histories" to "end-of-line persons".
- Change option 5 "surname reports" to "household registers".
- Change option 8 "70 special reports" to "code usage reports".
- Page 124: In the illustration of Screen 62, at Field 2 change
"Generations" to "Generations/page". And at Field 3, change
"Chart series" to "Multiple pages".
- Page 125: Change the descriptions of five fields as follows:
- At Field 1: Add the following sentence after "correct person.":
"Or press Alt or F10 to select a name."
- At Field 2: Change the name of the field from "Generations
(3-5)" to "Generations/page (3-5)".
- At Field 3: Change the name of the field from "Chart series"
to "Multiple pages".
- At Field 4: Change "Chart type (1-2)" to "Chart type (1-4)".
Also add the new sentence: "Enter 3 to print an
- At Field 5: Change "Chart title (1-5)" to "Chart title (1-7)".
Change "1, 2, 3, 4, or 5" to "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, or
7". In the "Hint", change "five" to "seven".
- Page 126: After the bottom line (that begins "Press the Esc
key"), add the following statement: "If printer error 25a
occurs, see page 164 for further information."
- Page 127: Make six changes to this page as follows:
- In the "Screen 63. Print Descendants Reports" section,
add an asterisk (*) after "Select the options you desire."
- In the "Screen 64. Print Family Histories" heading, change
"Family Histories" to "End-of-Line Persons".
- Under the "Screen 64" heading, delete the sentence that
begins with "Option 4 is reserved".
- In the "Screen 65. Print Surname Reports" heading, change
"Surname Reports" to "Household Records".
- Under the "Screen 65" heading, delete the sentence that
begins with "Option 5 is reserved". Add the following:
"Two different reports are available here: an Individual
Households Record, and a Relationship Households Record."
- Attach the following four-paragraph-long footnote to the page:
* A&D checks the Adoption/Lineage Code field
before including an individual in a Descendants Report.
Persons with Adoption/Lineage Code H or S are excluded
from these reports. Persons who have any other
Adoption/Lineage Code are included in these reports. When
present, the code letter is printed within brackets to the
left of the Individual Number. If you entered
Adoption/Lineage Code B, C, or D and properly entered the
adopted person into two Relationship records, the individual
will appear twice in the Descendants Report.
The default settings of the fields in Screen 63 will produce
a standard Descendants Report with one line of print for
each individual. To see the various options available,
press the Alt key while your cursor is on Fields 3
Field 2 "Generations" has a normal default entry of 15.
Enter a smaller number to limit the number of generations
that will print in your Descendants Report. Fifteen is the
maximum number of generations that can be printed on any one
Enter a 2 or a 3 in Field 3 "All descendants" to
produce reports that list primary descendants only. These
reports are based upon your entries in Individual Field 33
"Prime Spouse" and Relationship Field 33 "Seq. # of Primary".
If you leave these Fields 33 blank, the Primary Descendants
reports are based upon the first spouse and the first child
of each descendant.
- Page 128: Make six changes to this page as follows:
- Change the phrase "70 special" to "code usage" in three
places in the top 2 inches of the page.
- Also change "70 available" to "103 available" reports.
- Screen 68a has changed slightly. Option F "Family History
Size" is now "For future use". Option 3 is now "Profiles"
and Option 4 is now "Diagrams".
- In the definition of "Diagrams", change "print 3, 4, or 5
generations" to "print 4 generations".
- Change the definition of "Profiles" to be "Profiles are
listings that focus on a single code value." For
example, you can produce a profile report that lists all the
individuals that you have encoded in Field 21 as having died
in "Schleswig-Holstein", or another that lists all marriages
encoded as "Annulment, Catholic" in the Ended By field.
- Delete the last sentence on page 128. Replace it with
"Third, for certain reports, 'Step 3' will appear in the
lower part of the screen for you to enter additional
- Page 129, line 4: Change "when F7 is" to "when F8 is".
- Page 129: Change four lines in the illustration of Screen 70
Research Menu as follows:
- Change option 3 "anomalies reports" to "source usage reports"
- Change option 4 "end-of-line persons" to "repos. usage reports"
- Change option 5 "research priorities" to "research forms"
- Change option 6 from "Review research calendar"
to "Print research tasks/flags"
- Page 130: Change the name of the ninth Record Type on the
screen from "Annual Reminder" to "Events Calendar".
- Page 132: Make eight changes as follows:
- Screen 73: Change its name from "Print Anomalies Reports"
to "Print Source Usage Reports".
- Screen 73: Cross out the sentence that begins "Option 3 is".
Then insert the following text:
Screen 73 lets you produce the following eight
reports to better manage your sources:
- Report 731 "Source Usage Record"
- Report 732 "Sources by Source Type"
- Report 733 "Individuals' Source Matrix"
- Report 734 "Relationships' Source Matrix"
- Report 735 "Households' Source Matrix"
- Report 736 "Individuals with no Sources"
- Report 737 "Relationships with no Sources"
- Report 738 "Households with no Sources"
- Report 731 will, for any Source in your Family
History, scan your entire database and list all
individuals, relationships, and households that
are linked to that Source record. The report lets
you quickly verify that you have properly entered all
appropriate links for a source. You can run this
report against one source at a time, against a range,
or against your full set of sources.
- Reports 732 through 738 are listings that can be
quickly run against your full Family History database,
or a range of records, to assess the quality and
completeness of your sources. Reports 732, 733, and
734 also let you print a one-page legend to explain
the meanings of the 33 column headings in the Source
Matrix. With these reports, you can spot potential
gaps in your research, types of sources yet to be
researched, and individuals, relationships, and/or
households on which you need to do more investigation.
- Screen 74: Change the heading from "End-of-Line Persons"
to "Repos. Usage Reports".
- Screen 74: Cross out the sentence that begins "Option 4 is".
- Screen 75: Change its name from "Print Research Priorities"
to "Print Research Forms".
- Screen 75: Cross out the sentence that begins
"This future A&D option will".
- Screen 76: Change its name from "Review Research Calendar"
to "Print Research Tasks/Flags".
- Screen 76: Cross out the word "future" in the first line of text.
- Page 136: In two places in the first paragraph, change "F7" to "F8".
- Page 139: In the illustration of Screen 80 "Other Options Menu",
change three lines as follows:
Also change the Screen 81 heading from
"Review Reminder Calendar" to "Print Family Calendar", and
the middle of the first line of the bottom paragraph from
"Review reminder calendar" to "Print family calendar".
- 1 - from "Review reminder calendar" to "Print family calendar"
- 3 - from "Reserved for future use" to "Print anomalies report"
- 6 - from "Reserved for future use" to "Print LDS ordinances status"
- Page 141: Change the Screen 83 title
from "Reserved for Future Use" to "Print Anomalies Report".
- Page 141: Second paragraph after the Screen 84 heading:
Add "The Master Genealogist, Ultimate Family Tree, " in the last
line before "and most other genealogical software products."
- Page 145: Make two changes to this page as follows:
- Change the 3rd and 4th lines from the bottom to read:
"Origins, Roots, The Master Genealogist, or Ultimate Family
Tree. Use either Option 2 or 3 as described below."
- Change the last line at the bottom to read:
"diskette for someone who uses the Family Tree Maker Version
4 or later, Family Origins Version 6 or later, PAF 3.0,
Roots III or IV, The Master Genealogist, or Ultimate Family
- Page 146: Make four changes to this page as follows:
- At lines 5 and 6: Change the text after "Brother's Keeper"
to read "Family Tree Maker Versions 3 and earlier, Family
Origins Versions 5 and earlier, PAF Version 2.31 and earlier,
or other basic genealogical products".
- In the middle of the page, just before the Screen 86
heading and just after the phrase "LDS TempleReady program.",
add an asterisk (*).
- Change the Screen 86 title from "Reserved for Future Use" to
"Print LDS Ordinances Status". Then cross out the sentence
that starts "Option 6 is reserved".
- Then cut out and attach (tape or glue) the following four
paragraphs to the top of page 146:
* At Screen 85b, specify which record(s) you want to be
included in the GEDCOM output file [you have a choice of
seven different ways to select the record(s)]. At Screen
85c, decide which drive will be used to write the diskette
(usually it's drive A, and yes you should have a blank
diskette available). At Screen 85d, enter a name for the
GEDCOM file that will be created and put on the diskette.
Screen 85e lets you add comments that will be put at the
front of the GEDCOM file. The GEDCOM file is then created
and written while Screen 85f shows you the number of records
You can repeat the process if you change your mind. If you
use the same file name and the same diskette, the new GEDCOM
file will erase and replace the first one. If you use the
same diskette but change the name of the GEDCOM file, the
new GEDCOM file will be added to the diskette. You can
write any number of GEDCOM files to a single diskette as
long as the sum of their sizes doesn't exceed the capacity
of that diskette.
Not all A&D fields can be exported even if you use the
advanced option. Fields that cannot be exported are those
that relate to your own unique situation, rather than
relating to the individuals, relationships, households, and
sources being exported. The non-exportable fields are
Updated By, Date Created, Last Updated, Photograph No.,
Other F.H. Code/Id, Other Individual #, Research Flag, the
Mailing Lists codes, B.Remind, Anniversary Reminder, Kind
of Evidence, and Source Cost. The person receiving your
GEDCOM file can and should have different entries in these
fields than you have.
Screen 86. Print LDS Ordinances Status
Report 86 "LDS Ordinances Status" is a two-part report that
gives the status of both individual ordinances and marriage
sealings. The report includes all persons who are "LDS" in
Religion/Church Field 32, "M" in Individual Option Field 50,
and/or "M" in Relationship Option Field 11.
- Page 153: In the illustration of Screen 90 "Guides and Help Menu",
change two lines as follows:
7 - from "Genealogical books" to "Print anomalies report"
8 - from "Genealogical periodicals" to "Reports guide and index"
- Page 154: Make four changes to this page as follows:
- In the Screen 97 heading, change "Genealogical Books" to
- In the Screen 97 text, first line, replace "six best genealogy
books" with "seven genealogical forms that A&D can print".
Then delete the second line.
- In the Screen 98 heading, change "Genealogical Periodicals"
to "Reports Guide and Index".
- In the Screen 98 text, first line, replace "seven genealogy
periodicals." with "96 types of genealogical reports that A&D
can print." Then delete the second sentence.
- Page 155: Error No. 25 was updated. Its message is
now "Printer is not selected or is busy!". Change the first
sentence to read "If your printer is not selected, press its
Select or Online button."
Between Error No. 25 and Error No. 27, add the following line:
"25a See page 164 for further information."
- Page 161: Add the following two new error messages:
175 Ancestor nnn parent-of-self error! An individual is
entered an ancestor of himself or herself. Go to
Screen 62 and print a one-page Ancestors Chart beginning
with Individual nnn to find your error. Then correct
the Individual or Relationship record(s). (F)
176 Blank spouse in Relationship nnnn! Either Relationship
Field 2 or Field 3 is blank. Enter the missing Individual
Number or, if the individual is unknown, press the Alt key
and then press F or M.
Reprint the Descendants report. (W)
- Page 164: Cut out and attach (tape or glue) the following
new text for error message 25a:
25a Printer error 25a can occur while printing Ancestors Charts
and certain other reports. It indicates that a random
printer problem occurred and that the current page has been
ruined. When this happens, A&D will
eject the bad page and reprint the page. If error 25a
occurs four times on a single chart, A&D will
give up trying to print that page and will advance to the
If error 25a occurs excessively and a good Ancestors Chart
set (or other report) is not produced, do the following:
- Go to Screen 6 "Set Printer & Keyboard".
- Set Field 1 "Printer Port" to 6.
- Press End to exit Screen 6.
- Press F6 and 2 to return to Screen 62
(or the other report's screen).
- Set whichever options you desire at Screen 62.
- When done, press End to generate the Ancestors Charts.
They will be written to a file on your hard disk.
For example, if your current family history is
on Drive C, the Ancestors Charts will be in the file
C:\REPORT.A&D. The maximum size of file
C:\REPORT.A&D is limited only by the available space
on your hard disk.
- Press Escape and type Y to exit
- If you are in Windows, click on the DOS Prompt icon in
the Program Manager's Main group to exit to DOS.
- Type the following at the C: prompt:
TYPE C:\REPORT.A&D > LPT1
and press Enter (the above assumes that your
family history is on drive C and that your printer
is on printer port 1). Your reports will print
properly on your printer.
- Type ERASE C:\REPORT.A&D and press Enter
to erase the file.
- If you got here from Windows, type EXIT and
- Start up A&D in the usual manner.
- Go to Screen 6 and reset Field 1 "Printer Port"
back to its original value (which is normally 1).
- Page 167: The } (right brace) ditto copying key works
fine on Alias records; however, it does not yet work on the
other record types. You may want to note this here on
Volume 5: History Encoding
- Page 2: Code U was added to Table A (Adoption/Lineage). Its
meaning is the same as the prior meaning of Code S as printed in your
manual. Code S henceforth translates to "Step-father/Father
known" and means "The child was raised by the step-father and the
natural mother; no adoption occurred; the natural father is known.
Enter the child with his natural surname, and as a child
within both Relationship records."
Also on page 2 after the heading "Custom Codes":
change "Up to four" to "Up to three".
- Page 45: Add a new entry at the top of the table as follows:
Cemetery . . . . . . . . CE . . . . . . . . Cemetery
Also add a new entry at the bottom of the table as follows:
Repository . . . . . . . RE . . . . . . . . Repository
Also, replace all of the text under the "Custom Codes" heading
with the following new text:
"One additional household type may be added to this table.
For example, the code PR could be added for Prison if you discover
that you had a bunch of wayward ancestors or relatives.
In addition, the `Current other address' and `Historic other
address' entries can be modified if you so desire. Use the
Screen 87 change process (see Volume 4: Reference Manual) to
change the translation."
- Page 51: Change "Personal knowledge", in two places in the
right column of the table, to "Personally known".
- Page 99: Near the top of the page, add the following new Title
Mrs. . . . . . . . . . . MRS . . . . . . . . . . . Mrs.
- Page 100: In the first line under "Custom Codes", change the
word "four" to "three".
Copyright © 2000 by Adventures In Ancestry, Inc. All Rights Reserved.