Individual Record 1871

Name}   Harman, Charles Henry Family History} Hancock                
  Title}   Ethnic Origin} English Sex} Male
Birth:   Date} Fam   9 Mar 1860 Place} Brookland, Kent, England
Marr.: Date} Exa  20 Oct  1886 Place} Thedford, Lambton, Ontario     (Link)
Death: Date} Fam 17 Sep  1902 Place} Pilot Mound, R.M. of Louise, Manitoba
Burial: Date} Exa  19 Sep  1902 Place} Manitou Cem., Manitou, R.M. of Pembina, Manitoba
  Grave Marker}  
Source 1} 986 = 1861 Eng cen
Source 2} 982 = 1871 Eng cen
Source 3} 983 = 1881 Eng cen
Source 4} 987 = Marriage rec
Source 5} 991 = 1901 CAN cen
Source 6} 968 = Family history
Source 7} 979 = Family history
Source 8}  
Source 9}  
Source 10} 
Parents: } Charles Henry Harman (Henry) & Sarah Ann Catt
   Relationship No.} 652
1st Household No.}  
      Occupation 1} Farmer
       Occupation 2} Carpenter
  Religion/Church} Methodist
Spouses:    First} Catt, Alice Eleanor
 Total Number of} 1
Notes:  Charles moved from England to Canada and settled in Ontario before his marriage in 1886.  He remained in Ontario until 1892 or later, and then moved to Manitoba.

The people of Manitou were shocked in 1902 on hearing that Charles, one of their respected citizens, had fallen about 40 feet from a grain elevator at Pilot Mound and was dangerously injured while working at his trade of a carpenter.  Charles was working on the elevator, which was nearly completed, and having gone down to straighten the tackle rope, he went up the ladder in an adjoining bin.  In climbing over into the bin, where he had been working, he missed his footing and fell about 40 feet, landing on the flooring on his shoulder and side.  He had reached out for something to catch hold of and partially caught August Henneburg, knocking his cap off, but his hold slipped.  His companions were soon on the spot and found him alive, and they carried him to the hotel where medical aid was promptly secured.  Charles' arm was badly crushed and his body terribly bruised.  He was made as comfortable as possible, with the intention of sending him to the hospital on the morning.

His wife and brother were wired for at Manitou and they arrived about 1:00 A.M.  Charles remained conscious until after 2:00 A.M. and conveyed with his wife and friends.  Finally the pain became so severe that the doctor injected morphine into his arm, after which the patient remained quiet until about 8:00 A.M., when he expired.

Charles' body was brought to Manitou on the morning train.  The funeral took place from his late residence to the cemetery, under the auspices of the A.O.U.W. (Ancient Order of United Workmen).  Rev. A. Henderson conducted a brief service at the house and took part in the burial service.

The A.O.U.W., of which Charles was an active officer and member, secured a handsome wreath, which was laid on the casket with those contributed by other friends.  Charles was 42½ years of age, and left a widow, two children, brothers, and numerous friends to mourn their loss.  Charles carried $2,000.00 insurance through the A.O.U.W.
Time of Birth}   Time of Death} 8 A.M. Fraternal/Social} A.O.U.W.
Baptism Date}   Place}    
Confirm. Date}   Photo} None
Immigr'n Date} Bef 1887 Port}  
Education: Grade}              or Top 2 Degrees}  
Military: Service}                   for the State of}  
Health Condition}  
  Cause of Death} Accidental fall
Last Updated
by} Dan Hancock
Date Updated} 11 Aug 2007
Date Created}  20 Jan  2007
Copyright © 2007 by Daniel W. Hancock.  All Rights Reserved.

Home Page Home Page Next Page Next Page